Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fabulous Finds



I don't know about you but I just love thrift stores. They've always been exciting to me. I suppose that's because they remind me a bit of my grandparent's attic, filled to the brim with their long forgotten things. Mostly, those things were junk and stored away for good reason. But sometimes I would find something special and I'd bring it downstairs and we'd marvel at it. That's how thrift stores can be. They are mostly filled with junk, things people no longer want or need. But sometimes you can find something really special, something worth marveling at.

Pictured above are two such things. The first is a minty green afghan. Whoever crocheted it was talented. It's flawlessly symmetrical, intricate and light. It ended up on Nora's bed since it's just the right size for a toddler. Plus, I had some guilt since I hadn't yet made her a blanket of her own. The second is a knitted christening set. My mom spotted this last month and just knew I would love to have it. I'm not sure if it was hand knit or done by machine but either way it's gorgeous. I can't imagine ever wanting to part with it. Although now that someone has given it up, Claire can wear it to her baptism and I'm so grateful for that! I wish it were possible to say thank you to the talented people who made these things. They are truly beautiful, works of patience, talent and love. Maybe one day, I'll want to pass them on too but for now I just want to marvel at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment