Wednesday, January 18, 2012

P is for Play Dough












P is for play dough!! Today we made our own. We followed the recipe pictured above and had some fun making this stove top version. Nora had a lot of fun with this activity. For the most part she made the dough by herself. I just had to help a bit with the stirring and with the dye. 

For the most part I was happy with the results. The dough is soft and pliable and holds its color well. However there were some things I disliked. 

1) I never realized how messy food coloring is OR how tough it is to wash off. (I definitely recommend wearing gloves to mix it in). 

2) The dough has a funky smell to it. (I blame the cream of tartar). 

Next time I'll likely try something new, like this Kool-Aid Play Dough Recipe.

Despite my problems with this dough, Nora couldn't have cared less. She had a great time making her own play dough and thought her hands looked cool ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hey sister! One little piece of advice w/this one...add your food color while you are stirring in the pot on the stove...THEN, let Nora add glitter to her lump of colored dough while warm and she will get less messy, still help in the process and have super sparkly glitter....you can also add vanilla or lemon drops to make it smell yummy!!!!!! I have TONS of make your own clay recipes, let me know if you want some ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try those things next time. The vanilla drops sound super good. I will definitely be trying that! I would love to try out more make your own clay recipes. What are some of your faves?

    ReplyDelete