Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Reading Wish List


As with everything else, I am behind on my reading. Like way way behind. Let's just say that by the time I get around to a book I'm interested in, my friends have already finished reading it, book clubs have already discussed it, someone has already made a movie about it and said movie has been out on video for months (okay, years). And that's just when I manage to get started. After that my progress is always slow, a page or two here, a chapter here or there. Sadly, I can't tell you the last book I've managed to finish. It's just been way too long to remember.

There once was a time when I was constantly reading, each and every spare second of my life. I would devour whole novels, ingest collections of poetry, constantly consuming more and more. Those were my college days, my working days, my first pregnancy/new mommy days. But now it seems my days are always full, full of mothering, housekeeping, working, blogging, crocheting, sleeping... Somewhere along the way, my beloved books got left behind. It's a bit shocking when I think about it. Books have always meant so much to me. They were my daily dose of art, pop-culture, escapism, self-awareness, depth, entertainment, companionship. It has been a bit lonely without them.

I don't recall when I started reading The Swan Thieves (sometime before Christmas?) or Water for Elephants for that matter (last spring or fall maybe?) but I haven't managed to finish either and I'm pretty annoyed with myself in that regard. I've been downright neglectful of my collection. But they are loyal friends, these books of mine. I know they'll be waiting for me when I find the time, right on the shelf, where I left them <3

No comments:

Post a Comment